smoulator

AirLive AC-1200R connect to another 5GHz a/c router and create 2,4GHz AP

smoulator

Hello guys, I know this thread is probably dead but I need help - and this forum is probably the only mentioning this router :(

Yesterday I got this Airlive AC1200-R. The problem is I need it to connect to another 5GHz a/c router and create 2,4GHz AP.

It works. The problem is that the 5GHz a/c band only reaches 25Mbit even with 100% signal strength (maximum would be 150Mbit). The web interface is somewhat glitchy like setting a WISP on 5GHz band leaves the operation mode set as AP while still getting the signal from the other router and routing it to 2,4GHz/ethernet.

I want to ask if someone else have these problems, or if anyone knows about alternate firmware for this one.

Sadly the router seems not to be very common but it looks like a decent one if there were no problems with the slow 5GHz.

house
2 godziny temu, smoulator napisał:

I want to ask if someone else have these problems,

it's not a very popular unit, hard to find anyone who use it ;) 

2 godziny temu, smoulator napisał:

or if anyone knows about alternate firmware for this one.

it's hard to find anything for Mediatek based SoC, probably you won't find any custom made FW (especially for this AirLive model).

smoulator

Thanks for your response. I don't understand why it isn't popular, because it's not expensive if it performed as it should. You can get TP-Link or D-Link garbage at this cost, while Ovislink used to be a higher tier brand in my opinion. Do you know why the 5GHz is so slow? I place the routers next to each other and it only gets 25Mbit while a laptop or a mobile phone gets 120Mbit.

I could't find a similar unit at this price point with all the features. I need to connect to 5GHz device on the other side of the corridor and share it's connection with another SSID. E-shops call this AP-Client, WISP, AP Bridge and whatever else, even the firmware is confused.

Edit: Could "Channel Width :  Auto (20/40/80MHz)" be an issue? I can't set it manually to 80MHz so it is possible that it only runs at 20MHz. That would limit the 5GHz bandwidth, right? Another reason could be the router automatically dividing the bandwidth to all it's ethernet slots (4+1/2 wireless slots), but the QoS is off and there are currently just 1-2 devices for testing.

Edited by smoulator

house
43 minuty temu, smoulator napisał:

You can get TP-Link or D-Link garbage at this cost, while Ovislink used to be a higher tier brand in my opinion.

depends on the market, here in Poland Ovislink was very popular few years ago with their WL-1600GL model. Right now big fishes like Asus or Netgear takes all. 

43 minuty temu, smoulator napisał:

Could "Channel Width :  Auto (20/40/80MHz)" be an issue?

of course, it's a one of main factors in performance. The wider channel gives you better performance (but keep im mind signal strength).

smoulator

Seems like manually modding the firmware to force 80MHz would help...But I still don't know if this is the problem. Maybe it runs at 80MHz anyways.

house

I do not know if FW modding will give you anything if you do not have FW source code (I don't know if Ovislink publishes it at all). Without this and your own build process and will not achieve much. I suspect that you would have to modify the driver settings and this can be embarrassing if is closed (without free, open wlan driver). 

5 godzin temu, smoulator napisał:

Maybe it runs at 80MHz anyways.

maybe, but if it runs you should gain much higher Mbits score. As far as I remember this router is 2x2:2 MIMO 866Mbits capable - in worse scenario it should give you at least 50-60 MB/s.

smoulator

It connects to channel 36 which is 20MHz. To be honest I am not sure how it is possible, because my mobile phone or notebook gets 120Mbps. I have to check the channels used tomorrow. I do not cry for not getting full 866Mbps but 25Mbps is ridiculous at 5GHz/90-100% signal. 

There is public FW source I think But couldn't modifying a .bin file be sufficient to force different settings?

house
8 godzin temu, smoulator napisał:

There is public FW source I think But couldn't modifying a .bin file be sufficient to force different settings?

no, *.bin file is a firmware output file. You need to find archive file or github repo to build FW from this source. 

8 godzin temu, smoulator napisał:

but 25Mbps is ridiculous at 5GHz/90-100% signal

maybe it's a FW glitch related to channel width. Could be an issue with auto setting. Hard to tell without access to this unit.

smoulator

5 godzin temu, house napisał:

maybe it's a FW glitch related to channel width. Could be an issue with auto setting. Hard to tell without access to this unit.

Confirmed, it is related to channels. I checked the other AP and it was set on auto (36/42) and the Ovis can only connect to 36,40,44... no option to connect to channel 42/force 80MHz, so it only uses 20MHz. Other devices don't have any problems using the 80MHz band, so this is definetly the problem. So stupid...I was in a hurry and haven't checked properly if it supports any other WRT firmware and I'm stuck with the default firmware.

5 godzin temu, house napisał:

no, *.bin file is a firmware output file. You need to find archive file or github repo to build FW from this source. 

There is a GPL code for AC1200-UR (which only have an USB port), so it could be possible to rewrite it, but I can still return the unit. Could you please recommend another one that would suit my needs? (connecting to another router using 5GHz/80MHz band getting full speed aka WISP or client/AP with NAT).

Thank you very much.

house
Godzinę temu, smoulator napisał:

Could you please recommend another one that would suit my needs?

maybe one of Netgear's extenders with Fast-Lane feature (EX3110 ,EX3700, EX3800, EX3920, EX6000, EX6100, EX6100v2, EX6110, EX6120, EX6150, EX6150v2, EX6200, EX6200v2) :

You do not have the required permissions to view the link content.

Cytat

When you enable FastLane Technology, you have two options:

Use the 2.4 GHz band to connect the extender to the Wi-Fi devices and use the 5 GHz band to connect the extender to the Wi-Fi router. Use this mode if your Wi-Fi router supports the 5 GHz band but the devices that you want to use for gaming and streaming support the 2.4 GHz band.

Use the 5 GHz band to connect the extender to the Wi-Fi devices and use the 2.4 GHz band to connect the extender to the Wi-Fi router. Use this mode if the devices that you want to use for gaming and streaming support the 5 GHz band but your Wi-Fi router supports the 2.4 GHz band.

• Like it 1

smoulator

Ok, thank you very much for your help. I wanted a Netgear before, but couldn't find anything about this feature. Now I read that any of their dual band routers is capable of this. So great, I'm going to return this one and get Netgear. Will let you know as soon as I get it. Thanks again!

Edit: uhhh, just checked Netgear chipsets and in particular R6120, which is AC1200 too, has exactly the same components as my Ovis. And probably no firmware options, so if stock firmware wouldn't work as intended I would have to return it again :(

Edited by smoulator
  • Like it 1

house
7 godzin temu, smoulator napisał:

just checked Netgear chipsets and in particular R6120

you mentioned R6120 but this is a router, I talk about devices called "Range Extenders". They are quite different.

smoulator

I never really liked extenders or I have not come across one that worked properly. I always considered them inferior to full sized routers. Anyways Netgear says Fast Lane should work on

Cytat

Prerequisites:

NETGEAR Wi-Fi Range Extender i.e. EX6200, EX6100, WN2500RP, etc.

Dual Band Wi-Fi Router

Means the R6120 should work, or is extender better?

house

I will choose extender instead. Main issue in those devices is that you should avoid those who has one radio for receive and transmit purposes